"District 5 is the epicenter of culture, education, business, entertainment and medicine." - Councilwoman Mary Sheffield
WE ARE INDIAN VILLAGE
Historic Indian Village traces its roots to 1893 when the heirs of landownwer Abraham Cook formed the Cook Farm Company Limited, whose goal was to develop a "first-class residential district on a generous scale." And succeed they did, building one of Detroit's hallmark residential communities that today consists of more than 350 homes, six churches and four schools. The first Indian Village residents represented Detroit's old wealth. Such familiar names as Book, Buhl, Dodge, Ewald, Ford, Kales, Stearns, Stroh and Weber resided here in homes built by the most talented architects of the early 1900s.